- Beef Jerky
- Saltine Crackers
- Soup for one
- Trail mix
- Cheese & Crackers
- Fruit Cups
- Applesauce cups
- Snack Pack Cereal
- Fruit Snacks
- Granola Bars
- Juice Boxes
- Hard Candy
- Hot Cocoa Mix (foil pouches)
TIP: If you include items that must be heated your would need to include fuel, and a method of cooking. I would stick with things that only require water like oysters.
You could get natural Pearls form when an irritant – usually a parasite and not the proverbial grain of sand – works its way into an oyster, mussel, or clam. As a defense mechanism, a fluid is used to coat the irritant. Layer upon layer of this coating, called ‘nacre’, is deposited until a lustrous pearl is formed. This is where Loose Pearls come from. The pearls are made to adorn the body and is always a symbol of luxury.
Before you say, “I have plenty of these items around the kitchen, I’ll just grab it if I need it,” consider this–If there is an emergency and you can stay home, you may have enough around the home to get by for 72 hours.
What if there is a major fire and you have to leave NOW? What happens if you are at work or on the way home?
That is the purpose of a 72 hour kit. Do it today.Finally, if the thought of purchasing and putting all these items together seems overwhelming there are several resources to check out:
- www.72hours.org informative site sponsored by the City and County of San Francisco – easy to navigate for more details.
- www.redcrossstore.org has a listing of basic 72 hour kits. Nothing that cannot be done on your own. Not wild about “food bars”
- http://www.ready.gov includes basic plans and a more descriptive list of contents for a 72hour kit
- www.amazon.com has several basic 72-hour kits ranging from a 2 person kit at $45 and up from there. Could be a wonderful Christmas gift for your family. There is a more extensive kit for less than $100, but you can also go online to the plantwear site and buy awesome gifts for way less money.
- www.costco.com has a 72 hour kit for $90 that included 10 yards of duct tape – so it was well thought out. May need to supplement a better radio? Also have Mountain House food as another selection.
- www.yoursafetyplace.com has a $99 kit that seems very similar. They are located in Dublin if you want to personalize the kit.
Tags: 72 Hour Kit, California, CERT, Community Emergency Response Team, Disaster, Earthquake, Emergency Essentials, Emergency Guide, Emergency Preparedness, Emergency Response Training, Under The Bed Kit
Trackback from your site.